Bidding at auction can be a thrilling and rewarding experience and we would be delighted to see you at one of our future sales.
- Visit our auction calendar to see forthcoming sale dates
- Register via our website to receive email notifications of forthcoming sales
Viewing the auction
- We are open for viewing before the auction to allow you an opportunity to view any item that might be of interest to you. For viewing times please see the sale catalogue but typically viewing is from 2pm-7pm on the day before the sale and from 8am on the morning of the sale.
- Viewing staff and porters are on hand in the sale room to assist in locating items of interest and to offer guidance on any aspect of the auction process.
How to bid
- In person – if you are attending a John Goodwin sale and wish to bid we ask that you complete a brief paddle registration card.
- Commission bids – also known as an absentee bid. This is the maximum bid that you would be prepared to place on a lot. It is by no means an opening bid and will be executed as cheaply as other bids (or a reserve) allow. A bid can be sent by email, please make sure it is received before the sale starts and that it is acknowledged alternatively you can telephone us to register a bid at the sale room on view or sale day.
- Bidding live via the internet – with some of our specialist sales and our fine art and collectables sales we offer a live internet bidding facility. You will be able to follow the sale live from the comfort of your armchair at home and bid on items that are of interest to you. You will need to register before the sale and there is an additional premium that will be charged if you are successful when bidding online.
- Telephone – you can arrange to bid over the telephone as long as the low estimate for the lot is £200 or more. Telephones must be booked in advance of the auction and are available on a first come, first served basis. There is no charge for this service however the auctioneer will reserve the right to open the bidding at £200 on the telephone.
How do I find out if my bid has been successful?
- We endeavour to contact all successful commission and telephone bidders on sale day and if you cannot be reached we will leave a message for you.
- You are welcome to call the sale room on the afternoon of the sale, we usually suggest you leave it until after 4pm or the Ledbury office on the morning after the sale.
- For those attending the sale payment must be made before the items are collected. At the sale room we are able to accept debit cards or cash (up to £6000)only.
- If you are unable to attend the sale then payment can be made over the telephone by debit card only. Card payment can be made for items up to £500. For more expensive items or for overseas transactions we suggest payment is made directly to John Goodwin Client Account.
- There is a buyers premium which varies from sale to sale and if you do bid using the internet bidding option then please remember that there may be an additional premium to pay.
Collection/postage and packing
- All items must be paid for before they are collected and we prefer to collect payment on sale day. Payment must be received within 1 week of the auction.
- Once payment has been cleared items will be available for collection or delivery.
- Items can be collected from the sale room on sale day only. We are usually required to clear the sale room by 5pm. After that, items will need to be transported to one of our offices or to store. This may incur transportation costs and storage charges – please see terms and conditions.
- If you or a courier on your behalf intend to collect items then it is very important that you contact us prior to collection to ensure payment has been received and cleared and also to check the location of the items. We recommend at least 24 hours notice.
- For local deliveries we recommend the services of Nigel Hodges who can be contacted on 07976 936148.
- For transportation and delivery of larger items nationwide we recommend that services of Paul Gurden who can be contacted on 07890 926530 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mailboxes etc. Worcester collect from us on a regular basis and offer a professional postage and packing service. They can be contacted on 01905 732830 www.mbeworcester.co.uk
- We are able to offer a very basic and uninsured postage and packing service for small items to UK addresses, this is subject to a minimum administrative charge of £10 plus VAT plus postage costs.